In a WordPress blog we see there are a certain number of posts showing on the homepage along with date and time of publishing. We can change the number of posts and various settings like permalink, feed etc. These are some of the settings in WordPress which are managed in WordPress with the Settings menu in the Dashboard.
How it works with Blogger!
As you know that Blogger.com gives us Settings menu, under which we can find some options, shown in below screen shot :
With all these options we can Import and Export content, set the Blog Title and Description, format of the blog, handle the comments and manage archives, email, Permissions, etc.
How it works with WordPress!
WordPress has also provided Settings option in dashboard panel on the left sidebar. All the options that Blogger.com has are also available in WordPress. Many of these settings you can find under Settings menu. (See image below)
General Comparison of settings in Blogger.com and WordPress:
You might be aware of the Settings in Blogger.com and I thought a comparative feature by feature explanation would be useful.
- In Blogger.com under Basic option you can add Title and Description of site, like the same way you find options under Setting -> General in WordPress and also option for site URL.
- In Blogger.com under Basic option you had options like “Search Engine“, “Blog Listing“, etc. You can find it in WordPress under Settings -> Privacy.
- In Blogger.com options like “Show at most” and “Time and Date Formating” are in Formatting option. The same options are found in WordPress under Setting -> General and Setting -> Reading.
- In Blogger.com there is an option for Comments, but in WordPress all the options about comments you can find under Setting -> Discussion. We can also moderate comments under the option Comments (below Pages menu).
- Blogger.com gives option Site Feed for “Allow Blog Feeds” and “Post Feed Redirect URL”, but WordPress by default gives you feed URL, if you want to redirect your feed to your “Feedburner” URL then you can use FeedBurner FeedSmith plugin ( see Managing Plugins in WordPress).
- There are further settings in Blogger.com like importing and exporting blogs which can be covered under the Tools menu in WordPress. Do check out All about Tools in WordPress for more details.
Plugins and certain themes when used give us some extra settings options which we can tweak. These options often show up under the Settings Menu on the left side bar of the Dashboard.
When we use Blogger.com settings it has some limited scope regarding what can be customized. With WordPress there is a lot more flexibility regarding how we can tweak settings of the blog.